Chuseok food cost hits all
简介Amid rising inflation, an increasing number of Koreans are opting for more affordable ready-to-eat m ...
Amid rising inflation, an increasing number of Koreans are opting for more affordable ready-to-eat meals, or meal kit, products over traditional dishes to prepare a table for the Korean Thanksgiving holiday of Chuseok that runs from Sept. 28 through Sept. 30 this year.
During Chuseok, setting up a "charye" -- a table full of food offerings including fruits, rice, fish and meat -- is prepared to honor one’s ancestors.
However, the cost of preparing a four-person charye is expected to hit an all-time high ahead of Chuseok, according to the latest data released by Korea Price Information Corp.
When preparing a table with ingredients from the traditional market, the price was estimated at some 309,000 won ($231), up by 9,000 won from last year, marking a three percent on-year growth.
Meanwhile, if one is preparing a charye with ingredients from a large supermarket chain, the price comes to some 403,280 won, a rise of 7,990 won that equates to a 2 percent growth on-year.
A poor harvest, caused by the heat wave and Typhoon Khanun this summer, is believed to be largely responsible for a surge in the cost of setting up a charye table, as the prices of individual staples have soared significantly.
For example, the price of three apples rose by over 30 percent, jumping from 15,000 won to 20,000 won at the traditional market, and from 14,900 won to 19,600 won at a large supermarket chain, compared to last year.
Meanwhile, the price of 2 kilograms of rice rose from 5,000 won to 6,000 won at the traditional market, and from 8,450 won to 9,990 won at large supermarkets on-year.
In light of rising food prices, more people have turned to cheaper and more convenient ready-to-eat meals or meal kit products to simplify this year's charye.
According to the latest analysis of sales trends from Sept. 4-13 by e-commerce platform Gmarket, sales of processed livestock products rose by 30 percent, and instant rice and cup rice products by a staggering 46 percent compared to the Chuseok promotion period from Aug. 15- 24 last year.
A US strategic bomber B-52 is set to arrive at a South Korean air base later this week, multiple sou ...
김정은 북한 국무위원장은 지난 13일(현지시간) 러시아를 방문해 블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령과 정상회담을 개최했다. 연합뉴스“국제법의 틀 안에서 북·러 관계 발전의 기회를 모색하 ...
South Korean stocks finished slightly higher Wednesday following recent sharp losses amid concerns a ...
- Pentagon chief stresses US ability to tackle 'crises in multiple theaters'
- LG CNS launches new AI platform for corporate clients
- HD Hyundai Shipbuilding invests $47m in Estonian fuel cell for green maritime energy
- IMF maintains 2023 growth outlook for S. Korea at 1.4 pct
- [HIT Forum]Space forum sees opportunities beyond our 'pale blue dot'
- GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- Samsung SDI, Stellantis to set up 2nd JV plant in Indiana
- 강서구청장 12시 투표율 11.4%…직전 지선보다 2.9%p 낮아
- Art Busan's unveils galleries, theme for inaugural fair, Define Seoul
- N. Korea scheduled to hold key parliamentary meeting following Kim
- Unification minister to visit Britain, Germany
- Reconstructed Dondeokjeon hall in Deoksu Palace to open to public
- Uzbekistan, Korea boost customs cooperation
- '코로나 봉쇄' 북한, 국경 열었다…3년8개월 만에 외국인 입국
- Hana Financial signs MOU with Saudi Arabia's EXIM bank to expand cooperation
- 4th Global Biz Forum kicks off to discuss 'next prosperity'
- [사진] 용산 팔도장터 찾아 떡메치기
- 카메라 찍힌 김여정 960만원 '디올 백'…그 자체가 北인권 참상
- [Bills in Focus] Holding CEOs accountable for lack of internal financial control
- [Herald Interview] Kim Jee
- [Herald Interview] As a wanderer, Yoshitomo Nara does not confine himself to art