Import prices up for 3rd month in September on higher oil prices
简介South Korea's import prices rose for the third straight month in September due to the higher pr ...
South Korea's import prices rose for the third straight month in September due to the higher price of crude oil, central bank data showed Tuesday.
The import price index rose 2.9 percent last month from a month earlier following a 4.2 percent rise and a 0.2 percent advance in August and July, respectively, according to the preliminary data from the Bank of Korea.
In August, the index spiked by the most in 17 months.
From a year earlier, the prices fell 9.6 percent, the data showed.
Import prices are a major factor that determines the path of the country's overall rate of inflation.
The Dubai crude price, South Korea's benchmark, stood at $93.25 per barrel in September, up from $86.46 the previous month, according to the central bank.
The import prices of raw materials rose 5.7 percent, while those for intermediate goods gained 2 percent.
The export price index also rose 1.7 percent in September, marking a rise for the third straight month.
Meanwhile, South Korea's consumer prices accelerated by the most in five months in September, driven by higher oil costs and rising prices of some farm goods.
Consumer prices, a key gauge of inflation, rose 3.7 percent last month from a year earlier, accelerating from a 3.4 on-month rise in August.
In August, the BOK kept its key interest rate unchanged at 3.5 percent for the fifth straight time. The central bank delivered seven consecutive rate hikes from April 2022 to January 2023. (Yonhap)
Youngjae of the K-pop boy group GOT7 is returning to the music scene with his first solo full-length ...
The South Korean government may announce its plan to increase the medical school enrollment quota as ...
Calls are mounting for the South Korean election watchdog to apologize after it failed to fend off m ...
北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문
혼전임신 직원에 "애비없는 애"…갑질 서기관 감싼 복지부 논란
[Herald Interview] Indonesia's Aladin Bank CEO eyes digital banking partnerships with Korea
Election watchdog faces calls to apologize after failing security test
Hyundai Rotem to showcase new ground weapons systems at Seoul expo
S Korea, UAE agree to increase bilateral flight ceiling to 21 per week
- Posco Future M achieves 100% recycling of refractory waste
- BTS Jungkook's star
- Japan thanks S. Korea for Israel rescue effort
- Blackpink's Jennie makes solo debut on Official UK Singles Chart
- Unwind with Korea food, lifestyle docs on Netflix
- 北, 러 주최 국제포럼서 '국제수송' 논의…무기거래 우회로 찾나
- Ruling party chief clings on after election loss
- BOK expected to stand pat this week over growth risks: experts
- [Obituary] Park Seo
- SK Ecoplant recycles over 6,000 tons of batteries
- [이번 주 리뷰] 중동 전쟁 우려…국민의힘 보선 참패(9~14일)
- Andong, serene destination for immersing in traditions
- SK to hold CEO meeting in Paris
- S. Korea entering 'recovery phase' amid geopolitical uncertainties: Choo
- Try on traditional Korean costume during Hanbok Culture Week
- Gyeongbokgung entrance platform, new signboard unveiled
- 공군 수송기 급파, 한·일 220명 텔아비브 탈출
- "당 망치는 응석받이"…안철수, 이준석 제명 서명운동 시작
- TXT shatters records, tops charts with 3rd LP
- [New in Korean] Booker Prize